Today we made marshmallows.
2 sachets of gelatine powder dissolved in 125ml hot water
2 egg whites
500g caster sugar
pink food colouring
(1) First we whisked up the egg whites until they were stiff and firm
(2) Put the sugar in a saucepan with 250 ml water. Boil and then using a sugar thermometer heat until it reaches hard ball stage (122oc). Turn off the heat
(3) Pour the gelatine and food colouring into the syrup. (It boils up a little bit)
(4) Switch the food mixer on low and add the syrup/gelatine mixture to the egg whites. Leave the mixture on for about 20 minutes until the mixture goes thick and bulky (you can see a ribbon of marshmallows when you lift the beaters up)
(6) Pour in the marshmallow mixture and leave to set for a couple of hours (not in the fridge though)
We also added sugar to the top!
The girls like it but it is denser than shop-bought marshmallows - more like the inside of meringue I guess!